Increasingly, people are considering natural and herbal medicinal approaches as a complementary or primary course of health management. Traditional medical doctors knowledgeable of natural holistic health treatments are now accepting, even embracing, naturopathy as a means of treating many conditions. In fact, natural alternative medicine is rooted in scientific research which still seems to surprise some.
What is Naturopathic Medicine and is it for You?
The primary premise of naturopathic medicine is that the body possesses the ability to heal itself. The role of a naturopathic doctor, and the course of recommended treatment, is focused on stimulating the body's natural abilities to recover leveraging non-invasive means.
Is naturopathic medicine for you? Naturopath approaches can benefit anyone as they are effective for treatment of chronic conditions, acute ailments, and perhaps most importantly - an integral part of preventative health management. Yes, not only can a naturopathic approach (often involving herbal medicinal treatment) reverse and/or slow the progression of chronic disease and illness, it is a vital ingredient for preventing disease development.
Selecting a Naturopathic Doctor for Optimal Health Benefits
Before selecting a naturopathic doctor it is important to understand the principles by which they practice:
- Of course, to "Do No Harm" and act ethically in their approach.
- To work with and leverage the Healing Power of Nature.
- To establish root causes of disease and formulate treatment accordingly.
- To seek to heal the "whole" body, this requires individualized treatment.
- To teach healthy living practices, provide lifestyle recommendations and focus on preventative health measures.
Importantly, selecting a naturopathic doctor is just like selecting a conventional medical doctor, or any important service provider. You will want to research them - their credentials, their practice history and experience; and seek out any word of mouth references from people who have actually visited the naturopath. Ultimately, selecting a naturopathic doctor comes down to your actually meeting them. Typically, initial consultations are no or low cost. This is time and effort well invested. Would you take hugely important advice on your health and wellness from someone you weren't comfortable with and "not so sure about"?
Alternative Herbal Medicine and Your Optimal Health
Phytotherapy, medical herbalism, botanical medicine...no matter what the term herbal medicine is focused on both disease prevention and treatments of ailments. The benefits of going the alternative route to achieve optimal health include:
- Derived from herbs with naturally occurring medicinal properties.
- Synthetic free
- No-low incidence of side effects
- Naturally promotes detoxification
- Highly effective at preventing and treating root cause conditions, such as high blood pressure and obesity, which are responsible for an exponentially large number of health problems that arise from these conditions.
If you are considering a switch to alternative medicinal approaches, you are on the path to discovering naturally improved health. Do research diligently when selecting a naturopathic doctor to be sure they are right for you. With a commitment to improved health and the right treatment approach, alternative medicine can help you achieve and maintain optimum health.