In this day and time, from the time a child is born he is subjected to pollutants, irritants and other harmful chemicals. Pesticide sprayed grains, fruits and vegetables are a part of our daily routine. The water we drink is treated with all sorts of chemicals to make it fit for drinking. The toxicity levels of the atmosphere are high as well due to the increased industrialization and vehicles smoke and dust. As a result, more and more diseases that were unheard of are making their way to our lives.
The reason for this is not hard to guess. The fast foods and the carbonated drinks may give us a temporary high, but they are slowly poisoning our bodies and weakening our immune systems. No wonder the doctors are making more profit than before and the common man is reeling under the weight of the medical bills!
Solution? Again, the solution is simple: detox diets. No, I am not taking about the lemonade fad diet that was quite a rage sometime back. That is not detoxification... that is simply starvation. Detox diet means going back to the natural sources of nutrition such as fruits and vegetables and whole grains. Start with a 7 day detox diet to give yourself a head start. Detoxification helps the body to get rid of harmful toxins and cellulite and makes you feel more energetic and fit than before.
There are a lot of detox diets available in the market. However, it can be quite tough to distinguish between a real detox program and a fad. So, here are some pointers that will help you to understand the right detox diet:
1. A detox diet is not a starvation diet. It is a diet which just substitutes fast food/junk food/processed food with natural food such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains
2. Eat items such as vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, broccoli sprouts, onions, garlic and of course the age old "green leafy vegetables"
3. While a detoxification diet does not promote white rice or white bread, it does include an intake of brown rice, basmati rice, rice crackers and grains such as amaranth, millet and buckwheat.
4. You need to avoid peanuts completely and go in for unsalted nuts and seeds. These include flaxseed, pumpkin seed, sesame seed, almonds and sunflower seeds.
5. Avoid oils that increase cholesterol. Use extra virgin olive oil for weight loss and detoxification. It works wonders.
6. It is obvious that a detox diet would ban all the colas and the caffeinated drinks and beverages. Instead, try sticking to de-caffeinated coffee, herbal and green teas. This will aid your liver in detoxification. You can also try natural beverages such as pure vegetable juice, lemon juice and natural fruit juices.
7. Avoid foods like creams, milk, eggs, sugars and butters.
8. You also need to make sure to avoid alcohol and cigarettes.
A 7 day detox diet can really help you to boost up your metabolism and increase your immunity levels. Be sure to drink at least eight glasses of water to flush the toxins from the blood. So, just stop binging on those fries and burgers. Try a 7 day detox diet and feel the difference!